Wednesday, December 24, 2008

We Wish You a Merry Christmas...

This is our third Christmas in South Florida! Christmas is such a special time, isn't it? A time to enjoy family and friends and a time to enjoy giving and recieving gifts. I have really been trying to be intentional this year in thinking about the biggest gift that was given to us two thousand and eight years ago. God, in the form of an infant! I am especially blown away by this fact this year as I hold my own little infant. I was talking to Matt about it recently and was telling him how I feel like people tend to skip over this fact, even at Christmas, his birthday. I think the realisation that God did come in the form of a helpless and dependent infant is a little hard to grasp... As I look at Beatrix laying on our bed unable to eat alone, change her own diaper, really even move I wonder WHY God choose to come in that form, to us ??? I have not reached anything profound I just find it amazing that the God of our universe humbled himself and came that way. As a mother, I find this one of the most relatable characteristics of God. He allowed himself to be taken care of by a human family... WOW!
This year as I try to explain the meaning of Christmas to a three year old, I have found myself re-examining what I think the meaning of Christmas is. It is very easy in West Palm Beach to get caught up in all we DO NOT have, so this year I am trying to dwell on all we DO HAVE! I am so thankful for my husband who is kind, compassionate, giving, patient with me, on a quest for true justice and never EVER stops learning new things. I am thankful for my little man, Micah who is adventurous, a knowledge seeker, kind, tenderhearted, an amazing friend and forgives me every day and is eager to always "start over". I am thankful for Beatrix a new light in our home who smiles, coos, and is so beautiful to look at and brings such comfort to hold. I am thankful for our home that is warm when it needs to be and cool when it needs to be. I am thankful for our car that runs and takes us to new and familiar places. I am thankful for friends who accept me just as I am and are patient with my post-pregnancy emotions! I am thankful most of all for Jesus, born as a b a b y. I picture Mary and Joseph looking at this new little wonder nursing and crying and cooing and he looking to them in utter dependence all the while they held the promise in their hearts that somehow, yet unknown to them, He their baby was going to save them.
I hope you take a few moments to really ponder the fact that "Unto us a Child was born!" Yes he was a man, yes he died for us the ultimate sacrifice, but first and foremost "Unto us a Son was given."
Have yourselves a Merry Little Christmas. May it be filled with childlike wonder!
With Love and Blessings for 2009,
The Hot (mildly cooler) Harrison House
**ps-there are 5 new posts that I have posted today. so keep on looking... :)

No comments: