Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Some of my favorite things...

So far 2009 has been the year of talking finances and making goals in that area. Money in general can be not so fun to talk about. So as part of my quest to focus on contentment and being happy with the things I do have, I started going around my house today taking pictures of the things that I already have that make me really happy (obviously my three most favorites are people so I am not counting them). Doing this not only lifted my spirits it also took away any desire (today anyway) to want something else. This is one of my favorite places in our home, our front porch. I do not sit here enough...

I love this painting that my friend Amy made me. It hangs over my stove.


I got this little owl lamp from Matt and Micah for Mother's day this year. I found the peacock picture in a vintage store for $20. It is all embrodery. Kind of old lady, but beautiful at the same time. The pillow I just found at a garage sale for $4.00! I think it is the same pattern just made by two different people.
Matt's parents sent me a gift card to Anthropologie for Christmas and this is what I got. I had been eyeing it for a month and it happens to work great as a diaper bag.
This little beauty is one of my gifts from Matt for Christmas. We have a nautical consignment shop right down the road from our house and I have been eyeing this and others like it since we moved in. It is somekind of an anchor or marker for boats. I think it is just Beautiful!!!
Also from the nautical store, it is a dry anchor. ??? oh so cool hanging in our "florida room". This Gorgeous mirror I found at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. I told Matt that it was my Christmas present (he decided to get me more). I instantly fell in love with it and the story that goes with it made me love it even more. It belonged to an elderly woman that moved to south florida from New York in the 60's. She brought this mirror with her in the move. A couple of years ago she passed away and left the mirror to the woman who cared for her. This woman didn't want it anymore because "it doesn't go with my decor". So now it belongs to me and I think it is fabulouso! $25.00 ladies and gents, yes $25!!!
Obviously a closer shot of the detailing. It is wood painted yellow and it also has a number on the back...doesn't that mean that only a few were made?
I bought this rug from Anthropologie with my Christmas money from my Dad and Mom.
**sigh**
I think it is lovely and I am planning to hang it on my wall as art....
So those are some of my favorite things...what about you? Have you walked around your house lately reminding yourself of all the things that you have already that make you happy? What are some of them, please share with me.

4 comments:

jessica said...

Lydia, don't know if you remember me--i'm friends with the whole gr crew back in michigan--also the one that left west palm just as you were arriving...
anyhow, saw a note you left for dear amy and wandered over to peek into your life in sweaty south florida. i have enjoyed reading your posts and the photos are wonderful--your kids are darling! today was an especially encouraging read and a great reminder to acknowledge what we do have and love. what a great idea to photograph those things to help make that reminder something more tangible. thanks for that.
hope you are staying cool enough:)
jessica

Matthew's Wifey said...

I loved reading this post Lydia! You have great taste! I would love to do my own favorite things blog, but all my belongings are currently in storage. =) Not for much longer though. Our house is scheduled to be completed in February. Thanks for sharing. It is amazing how focusing on what we do have and being grateful for that does so much for our countenance.

Andrea said...

What a great idea, Lydia! I'll have to do that this weekend. I'll post myfavorites on my blog.

Stephanie said...

I love your new bag! Great post!