Thursday, May 17, 2012

juxtaposition

jux·ta·po·si·tion

[juhk-stuh-puh-zish-uhn]  noun
1. an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, especially for comparison or contrast.
2. the state of being close together or side by side.
 
my life feels like a juxtaposition these days. 
last week i was standing in the isle at walmart trying on these dr. scholl's shoes having a conversation with myself that went something like this..."lydia, you can totally pull these off. no they don't make you look old at all. feet that don't hurt are totally worth it. besides you wear cool color nail polish so that will tip the scales in your favor!"  
i bought them.
 later that day as i was getting ready to take a picture of my new orthopedics, i looked down and saw penelope's baby nose squinter thingy.  it hit me how strange it is to feel older and yet have a brand new baby. 
old and new. 
wrinkly and unlined. 
jux-ta-po-si-tion. 
my life, right now, right here.

No comments: