Friday, September 19, 2008

A Harrison Halloween 1929

Dear Matt, Lydia and Micah,

This picture was taken in 1929 (during the great depression). I was 5 years of age. My dad came home and my mother was crying. He asked the reason for her crying. She said we have only $1.00 left to live on. Dad said, there is a Halloween dance up town. The admission is $1.00 let's dress up and go dancing. My mother put together these costumes and they went to the dance. They won 1st prize for the best costumes of $5.00.

Matt note the purse my mother has in front of her (a hot water bottle). Every good scot has a purse in front. Note the piece of black tape she has on her tooth (to look as though she was missing one).

I thought you would enjoy your Great Grandparents dressing up for Halloween.

Love, Grandpa Harrison

I don't know about you, but I think that this is a beautiful story! They are on their last dollar and he says lets go dancing. ??? I wish that I could respond to our money woes with such a calming demeanor.

I have been wanting to post something about Matt for awhile now, but didn't want to write about his school, or work, or coaching swim team.... all of the busy-ness that he is experiencing right now. I have wanted to write something ABOUT him. Who he is as a person. A window into my love. This letter coming in the mail yesterday has given me just that. Matt loves Halloween. As evidenced by this picture from 1929, it seems to be firmly embedded in his very genes. I don't really understand some of the things about my husband, but one thing I do get very clearly. He ADORES his holidays. I love that about him. He makes them special and fun and that is something that our children will cherish for the rest of their lives. Never will a holiday go by without decorations or excitment. He has not been able to put this picture down since it came in the mail yesterday. I think he even took it to school with him today. It has given him something....hope? a sense of groundness? belonging? I'm not sure what, but it brings a smile to his face every time he looks at it and thats enough for me.

2 comments:

Danielle and Paul said...

lydia - this is such a neat story - amazing philosophy for life. thanks for sharing, what a great momento for the moment.

Deidra said...

Not a Halloween goes by that I don't have visions of Matt dressed up like Ozzy.. :) Perhaps new baby will make his/her appearance on or near Matt's favorite holiday! Love-d